Crabbing!
Last weekend I got to go crabbing with my in-laws and it was so much fun! Sad for all of us Andrew was out of town recruiting for the weekend so he did not get to come. We will just have to go again when he gets a day off...do those actually exist in the Pac-10?
We took a little boat off the Oregon coast and it was one of those beautiful, sunny days when I think, "Why would anyone live anywhere else in the whole world?" And then it starts raining :)
I had never been crabbing before, but Edy and Gordon are pros so I was in good hands.
The first thing we did was bait the cages with a big chunk of raw chicken - yuck. Ok, ok, so if you want to get super technical, when I say "we," I actually mean Edy and Gordon - they were kind enough to do all the gross baiting for me since it was my first time!
Luckily the crabs were hungry for raw chicken and we were ready with our tricky cages that would let the greedy crabs in but not out.

Then we'd throw the cages overboard and come back in 20-30 minutes to get them and they'd be filled with crabs!
Then we'd measure them and make sure they were big enough to keep
After we caught as many as our buckets could handle, we came back to shore and they cooked them for us right there on the beach. We caught 29 crabs!

Then we had to clean their guts out!
Oh, did I say we again? Well, I actually mean Edy and Gordon cleaned their guts out while I rinsed them with a hose at the end!
Then we came home and made a delicious crab salad with the freshest crabs possible

Yum!
And then, after it was all over, I remembered this was the perfect time to tell my favorite joke!
Q: Why is the ocean so grumpy?
A: You would be too if you had crabs all over your bottom!
Ha, ha, ha. Don't pretend you're not laughing right now!
A few things I learned from crabs and crabbing:
1. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
2. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!
3. Crabbing is not the most efficient way of getting food (otherwise you'd just eat the chicken...), but it's a ton of fun!
4. I love my in-laws!

Then we'd throw the cages overboard and come back in 20-30 minutes to get them and they'd be filled with crabs!
Then we'd measure them and make sure they were big enough to keep
After we caught as many as our buckets could handle, we came back to shore and they cooked them for us right there on the beach. We caught 29 crabs!
Then we had to clean their guts out!
Oh, did I say we again? Well, I actually mean Edy and Gordon cleaned their guts out while I rinsed them with a hose at the end!
And then, after it was all over, I remembered this was the perfect time to tell my favorite joke!
Q: Why is the ocean so grumpy?
A: You would be too if you had crabs all over your bottom!
Ha, ha, ha. Don't pretend you're not laughing right now!
A few things I learned from crabs and crabbing:
1. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
2. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!
3. Crabbing is not the most efficient way of getting food (otherwise you'd just eat the chicken...), but it's a ton of fun!
4. I love my in-laws!
I am so grateful to live close to Andrew's parents. I am so thankful for their selfless, genuine, love and for all that they do for us. They are amazing and I love having in-laws!
10 comments:
That looks like so much fun!! I'm glad you had such a good time and that you have family close by. Even though I don't like seafood AT ALL, I still think it would be fun to go crabbing some day. :)
I think I would prefer to just cook the chicken. Looks like fun, Robbie loves crab and I am sure will be jealous.
I hope you don't mind me checking out your post, I snagged the link off Christy's blog. ;) It's been fun catching up a little!
I went crabbing up in the San Juans during my college days and it was very fun! Oh, minus having my finger almost broken off by a particularly flexible little booger who reached around back to his butt where I was holding him and grabbed hold. He was especially tasty when we cooked him up! Hehe.
I have a blog too if you're interested. At the moment it's private so send me your email if you want me to shoot you an invite! Hope you're well!!!!
Julie Hill Nielson
Hmmm, providing my email would be advantageous. ;)
jewel823@hotmail.com
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm impressed that you were there with your hands touching the crabs at all.
We miss you guys and wish that you could come visit your two very adorable nieces.
nice chelle! that looked like loads of fun...and oh so gorgeous! the scenery wasn't too bad either! HA! i'm a funny girl what can i say. oh and that joke...loved it! i can't wait to tell matt. he'll probably just roll his eyes at me. but still it was a good one.
Wow Michelle, I'm so proud of you. That looked like a lot of fun, but aren't those MY pants you are wearing? Interesting....
Lisa
Michelle, you are hilarious. I love your commentary:) Wish we could hang out! Glad you had fun crabbing - that's one thing I never tried in Oregon! Looks like so much fun though.
Jared has a brother in Oregon and he's said similar things about crabbing (tons of work but way fun). Glad you had such a great time. You look fabulous!
That looked really fun...if a little gross! Good thing you had your in-laws do the dirty work. LOL. The finished product was beautiful. What a fun place you live in!
What are you doing right now to keep busy? Are you working as a dietitian? Hope all is well!
Post a Comment