My First Sewing Project as an Adult

So we've been renting the same house since May, and since May we've been having the same problem. Namely, one of the windows in our bedroom has shutters that only go up halfway and every night when we try to go to bed, our neighbor's light shines in through our window. As Andrew says, "It's like trying to sleep with a strobe light on!" Our neighbors are 100 years old but apparently they have a much later bedtime than ours. So now that I have a sewing machine (graciously given to me for Christmas by my angel mother and hardworking father), I finally decided to do something about it.
So I found a pillow case in our cupboard that had lace on one side. I carefully picked out the stitching on all sides and was left with a great sheet of cloth perfect for a curtain. I bought a tension rod and sewed a loop in the top for the rod and then hemmed in the sides and Vioala! Easiest curtain pattern I've ever heard of! Andrew said he really likes the wavy seam lines. Sorry Mom, some things never change :)
11 comments:
Nice job! Your curtains are way cuter and easier than the ones I got myself into!
Miss you...watch for something in the mail... :)
I am impressed! If you didn't tell me it was a pillow case, I would have thought you sewed lace on and everything!
I love it! Way to go. ;)
That's cute!!!
We have a problem like that, but it's in our bathroom...the blinds are about 100 years old so one can't shower w/o the fear someone is peeking through the lopsided blinds. I'll have to dig through our bedding stash :)
Hi Michelle,
I stumbled upon your blog from Andrea's. Nice job on the curtains-they look really good. Reading your blog made me jealous. My husband served his mission in Eugene & we spent a couple of weeks in Oregon about 2 years ago. I thought it was so beautiful & your pictures reminded me of a lot of the things that we also did while we were there. Richard is a huge Ducks fan, so we keep up with them in the fall during football season and try to go to a game every year. Maybe someday we will retire there. I have a blog too, but it's private so if you'd like to check it out email me at:
graygang@gmail.com
Congrats on your success with your job-so cool that you were both featured in the newspaper.
I love the curtains! Very cute. You're so domestic. ;)
Wavy seams lines are in, didn't you know? :)
Those are so cute! I wish I could do stuff like that...seriously can't. :)
I just checked your blog for an update and what do I find? You've used your sewing machine! The curtains look nice. I'm glad Andrew likes the wavy seams - thinking about them makes me smile! By the way, that "loop" is called a "casing."
Love,
Mom
It's lovely :) I don't see any wavy seam lines...but I can easily see Steven saying the same thing about one of my projects (with good intentions, of course). Very crafty of you!
Hey good for you ... the last time I touched a sewing machine was 8th grade in Home Ec. But you'd die if you saw how awesome I am at sewing a button on by hand!
Post a Comment