Summer VACATION 2010
We had a beautiful (and much needed) family vacation to the California Redwoods and the Southern Oregon Coast this past week. 7 days of gorgeous scenery, delicious food, incredible hikes and uninterrupted family time. What great memories. We just got home and I am already planning next summer's vacation!
Redwoods
This was my first time experiencing the Redwoods and it truly was awe-inspiring. We went on one hike called "Cathedral Trees," and I think that is the best description of these magnificent forests. The redwood trees really are like colossal, intricate, natural cathedrals reaching into the sky. 

Me standing next to the roots of a toppled giant. Hard to even comprehend the scale of these trees - even when you're standing right next to them.
We did lots of hiking on this vacation. Well, Andrew and I hiked, that is. Amelia mostly wiped graham crackers on our shirts, cried, slept, cried, and yelled at things.
Don't let these pictures fool you. She was not an angel on this trip. We do, however, seem to have a disproportionate number of sleeping/smiling pictures from this trip but that is SOLELY because we are apparently more inspired to take pictures when she is sleeping or smiling than when she is screaming her head off, imagine that.
That being said, isn't she sweet when she's asleep!
We stopped on the side of the road to observe a herd of elk with their massive antlers. Very impressive. We thought of you Matt...
Amelia yelling at the elk. I imagine she is saying, "Hey, what are you eating over there? Can I have some?"
She loves stealing Andrew's sunglasses. Very hip.

This is her happy screaming face.
West Coast Game Park
Oh, don't mind us, we're just petting a couple of Bengal Tiger cubs. You know, like for real baby tigers. Yeah, we just pet them like they were regular house cats.
This was a pretty neat little adventure. Apparently this is where they breed animals to be sent to zoos. It was kind of a weird little place, but pretty neat to be so close to so many impressive animals.
Southern Oregon Coast
The southern Oregon coast may have been my favorite part of this whole trip. Driving up highway 101 through Gold Coast and Port Orford, I saw some of the most beautiful coastal scenes of my life.

8 comments:
looks like a wonderful vacation! i bet you didn't have to worry about bears with Amelia screaming like that through the forest ;)
How come those llamas weren't hissing at you!
That last picture. Where did she get those eyes?!!
Love,
Mom
How fun! I always think of llamas being smaller, from Scott's mission stories, of one in a purse on a bus....But they're huge!
What a great trip! It's so fun to go new places with family! And have not other distractions!
The baby tigers are crazy!
Wish we could go on your trip with you next year!
Love and miss you!
~Trina
Look at that beautiful face! Landon said he couldn't believe how much she had grown when he was in Eugene a few weeks ago...WISH I COULD COME VISIT!!! :)
Looks like you had such a great time! And you write so well, I can almost imagine being there with you.
Just looked at the blog again and had to make some more comments.
I love the sunglasses picture and the happy screaming face. You really caught her personality there - so funny.
I can't believe they let you take a baby in with those little tigers. Hard to believe they'll grow up to be so big and scary.
I've been looking for those southern oregon coast tide pools since I was in high school. We went on a zoology class field trip there and I was so impressed by the things I saw. I've looked on every beach since then - even some in Oregon and Seattle, but hadn't found similar sights. Your two pictures were what I've been looking for. Very cool. I want to go to Brandon.
ok. I will come visit you. :)
I love this post! Michelle, you make me laugh. Amelia's happy screaming face is awesome! I agree with your mom, those eyes are amazing. Lastly, I want to visit!
Post a Comment