Amelia wanted to make lemonade the other day so we went on a walk down the street to see if we could find any lemons.
We didn't find any ripe lemons, but plenty of sour oranges did the trick!
So, these pictures make me think of a post I wanted to do about our new house. I don't have any pictures of the house, but maybe those will come. Bottom line is I love our new house.
It is nothing grand and there are a million things I would do to it if I
had lots of money. But I love it
here and every day it feels more and more perfect to me. I love the big windows and abundant
natural light. I love the view
from my bedroom window looking out over the natural open space and the majestic
mountains. I love the intense frog
chorus at night and the chirping of birds (mockingbirds, sparrows, wrens, blue jays and doves, to name a few) during the day.
I love that we can walk to the beach. There are a couple of paths out to the
beach. The kids and I love to
invite friends and walk along the big, wide path out by the slough. We love to see the herons, egrets,
hawks and swans. We love to
smell the wild fennel. We love the
eucalyptus groves on the bluffs overlooking the beach. And we like to walk our stroller
straight down the hill to the sand and let the kids play and go “efloring”
(exploring) in the sand dunes. We
love to see the dolphins surfing the waves or jumping by the hundreds out by
the oil-rigs. We also like the
other path out to the beach. The
one that goes behind the elementary school, through a eucalyptus grove, and
through the very edge of the very edgy Isla Vista. This route leads to a gorgeous beach walk on the bluff. We like to watch the surfers and say
hello to the goats.
I love walking to get our mail. It always turns into a little sunny afternoon outing with
the kids (the pictures above are on our walk to the mail, which is by the lemon tree). We walk to the mailbox
where they take turns trying to put in the key and get so excited over packages. Then we walk down the sidewalk to the
swings. They swing to the top of
the lemon tree squealing the whole time.
Then they get out and run to the orange tree to pick a few tart
oranges which they take and eat in their secret hideout in the avocado
tree. They pick lavender
flowers to put in my hair. We sit
there basking in the sun with orange peels at our feet and beauty all around
and I pinch myself to make sure that I am not dreaming.
I love our neighbors.
There are many young families with kids. There are also tons of original owners. A majority of the people we meet have
lived her since these homes were built. They all say they love it here and have just never wanted to
leave. Everyone is so friendly,
and if you see someone walking around the neighborhood, you always say hi and
introduce yourself because you know they are fellow “Storke Ranch Residents”
and somehow that makes you feel friendly and bonded and I love that.
I love the pool and the hot tub and we find ourselves there all the time. Amelia and William think the hot tub is their own personal kiddie pool! We love spending our afternoons hanging
out under the palm trees with friends (old and new) while lounging in the hot
tub. Once again, I pinch myself.
I love walking Andrew in to work. It is some of our best time to connect and talk. I love walking him in and letting the
kids run around at the baseball field, ride the tractor, hit in the batting
cages, and just be around dad at work.
Since he spends so much time at work, being so close physically makes me feel like
we are still connected. Oh, yes,
he’s at work, but he’s just right over there. That feels nice.
So yes, I’d like to paint the inside and outside of the
house, I’d like to decorate and furnish, I’d like to add, swap, and change things, etc and etc
and etc, but the bottom line is, I love this house. I love it because of it’s location and
all of the natural beauty it offers us.
And I love it because it feels like home.
Amelia dancing with friends on our front porch
Tea party with dad in the backyard
Morning snuggles with Grandma
7 comments:
Oh my goodness, this sounds like a complete dream!!! Can we move in with you? Seriously though, how lovely for you and your family. It sounds ideal in every possible way. And now I just wanna see some pictures already!!
Your house and your life and your surroundings just sound perfect. And of course, you haven't aged a BIT and look so beautiful! Enjoyed the post - thanks! We too LOVE our neighborhood. Doesn't it make a world of difference??
I am so glad you are here. It is awesome being so close!
Love this post! Your house sounds wonderful, I can't wait to come out and explore all those areas with the kiddos. Amelia and William are adorable, I love Amelia's hair done up in braids like that. And to quote Matt, William looks kidnappable cute ;-) Miss you tons!
I LOVE this! And it makes me so sad because I miss seeing you every day (usually multiple times a day :) and seeing your cute kids grow up. But I'm SO happy that you're so happy there!! Can't wait to come visit again!!
It makes me smile to see pictures of Amelia and William running and playing so joyfully together. They are having the perfect childhood - something every child should have! Kuddos to you and Andrew for providing that for them.
Your family is darling, and you look radiant! The boys and I watched the videos you posted - too cute! It's so fun having a daughter! Seeing your ballerina girl makes me so excited to enroll Samantha in dance one day! :)
Take care,
jenny
Post a Comment